Solar energy is inexhaustible, clean, pollution-free, and renewable green energy. The use of solar power has unparalleled cleanliness, high safety, relative extensiveness, long life, and maintenance-free advantages that other conventional energy does not have. Solar energy is considered to be the most important energy in the 21st century.
Thus, nowadays, more and more people choose to use solar street lights in their gardens or highway. When we use solar street light, we might meet some different problems which they occur, here I will explain to you the reasons and tell you how to maintain them.
1. The whole light cannot be turned on.
Solar street light is used in an outdoor place, always encounter rains and snows. And the solar controller always built inside the pole of the solar street light, so it is easy to get a short circuit once the water in.
First, we need to check the solar controller's terminal whether get rusted, if yes, means the controller already damaged, if not, then we need to use the multimeter to check the battery voltage. For example, for a 12V solar street light system, the battery is no longer storing electricity once its voltage lover than 10.8V. In that case, we need to replace or unplug the lamp head wire to allow the solar panel to charge the battery. Then check whether the solar panel has voltage and current output under normal working conditions. If not, then replace the solar panel. If None of the above has any problem, we need to check the light source, and only connect to the light source to see if it is on. If it is not on, replace the light source.
2. The discharging time becomes shorter. It is usually caused by a decrease in the battery's storage capacity. In this case, just replace a new battery.
3. The solar light is flickering. The cause of this failure might be poor circuit connection, battery power loss, or a serious decline in power storage. If the circuit is okay, then replace the battery.
4. The solar street light is all day on. Check whether the positive and negative poles of the solar panel are connected reversely. Use a multimeter to measure the voltage of the solar panel and compare it with the voltage of the other same capacity solar panel. Normally, it is the same. If the solar panel's voltage is compared smaller, means its quality has a problem. Another reason might be the solar controller doesn't have the light control function, so it cannot be light on or off automatically once it detects the sunlight.
5. The solar street light source is not fully bright. Many solar street lights use dot-matrix LED light sources. Except for the quality problem of the LED light source itself, some void-welding of the lamp beads will cause this situation. In this situation, we need to replace the corresponding lamp beads, weld firmly, or replace the entire street light head.
In addition, insufficient light at the installation site and unreasonable configuration of the whole lamps will cause serious shortening of solar street lights' life span. The installation environment should be selected reasonably and the solar street light system should be reasonably configured.